Mary H. Dyer | September 14, 2020
The shelves of your favorite bookstore hold so many great houseplant books that it’s difficult to choose. If you can’t afford to buy all the indoor gardening books in the store, this list may help you narrow down the choices.
Top Books about Gardening Indoors
- How to Houseplant: A Beginner’s Guide to Making and Keeping Plant Friends, by Heather Rodino: An entertaining book about gardening indoors. Learn about growing 50 of the most popular houseplants, including heartleaf philodendron, jade plant, Meyer lemon tree, and Norfolk Island pine.
- The Complete Houseplant Survival Manual: Essential Know-How for Keeping (Not Killing) More Than 160 Indoor Plants: This flexi-bound book by Barbara Pleasant provides practical advice for both beginners and experienced houseplant enthusiasts.
- Succulent Gardening: A Beginner’s Guide to Growing Succulent Plants Indoors and Outdoors, by Jacob Wells: This entertaining guide tells you all you need to know about growing beautiful, thriving succulent plants.
- How Not to Kill Your Houseplant: Survival Tips for the Horticulturally Challenged: This is a go-to guide if you’re discouraged and frustrated by your inability to grow houseplants successfully. It is written by Veronica Peerless.
- Urban Botanics: An Indoor Plant Guide for Modern Gardeners, by Emma Sibley: Provides information to guide you through the process of growing 75 beautiful, easy-to-grow houseplants in your home or office. This is one of the best books for indoor plant care, whether you grow a single specimen plant or dozens of leafy green wonders.
- Living with Air Plants: A Beginner’s Guide to Growing and Displaying Tillandsia: A great houseplant book if you’re fascinated by tillandsia. This handy guide, by Yoshiharu Kashima (Protoleaf) and Yukihiro Matsudo (Brocante), provides information about how to grow and care for more than 100 different air plants.
- Plant Parenting: Easy Ways to Make More Houseplants, Vegetables, and Flowers: This book helps indoor gardeners get around the high price of houseplants by propagating new plants. Written by Leslie F. Halleck, it is among the best indoor gardening books for beginning plant propagators.